I really don't know alot about the Rockies, much less than enough to write a book. What I do know is that I am not Job. Though it seems that God thinks I might be.
It's been about 3 weeks now I think since I was asked to come into the Principal's office to meet with her and the vice principal. The door was closed and I was invited to sit down. After a moment or so of shuffling around papers Kathie says "Don't worry, you're not in trouble." Gee, did my shaking hands clenched tightly in my lap give me away? Then, "Our enrollment is lower than we had expected, and since you were the last one hired we need to find a new place for you." I'm single, have bills to pay, thank God my truck just got paid off, and I don't have to think about Fawn (the only blessing about that), maybe I can develop my horse business into something full time.... streamed through my head. "I've already contacted Suzanne about the 2 positions she has available since they are under staffed. Would you be interested?" It was all I could do to not scream H*LL YEAH! I managed a restrained "Absolutely, very much so." An email was fired off and I left shaken. What was I going to do?
Numbly I started to drive home after a tearful call to my mom who started the job search for me. Half way home the vp called me. "Sara, we've scheduled an interview for you tomorrow. Don't worry about your class, we've already arranged for it to be covered." She continued on with details about what to wear, talk and ask about, etc. I called Mom back and gave her the information. She pulled up the school's website and read to me the Mission Statement and other important facts.
Getting home became a race against the clock to get myself together, update my resume and portfolio, and do everything else that comes with prepping for an interview. Needless to say, the little sleep I got that night wasn't the best.
The next day I had to lie my way out of the building. Where was I going, why... Ugh! When I got to my interview the vp walked me around the school while I waited for the principal. Big, beautiful, new building. Nothing like what I'm use to. Next, the interview. What did I know about the school, what questions did I have... wait a minute, this doesn't sound like an interview. "So what grade would you like to teach?" "I'd prefer the lower elementary since that is where my experience is and I just added the Early Childhood Education endorsement to my licence, but I'd be happy any where you need me." Gulp, I don't want rule myself out. "Could you start on Monday then in the 1/2 classroom?" "Yes, if that is okay with Kathie." I got it? I got it. I really got it! "Let me check with her," as she spun around to send off an email. "Why don't we take a walk down to some of your teammates' classrooms and introduce you."
After about 20 hours of panic and terror I found myself heading for a new school going from teaching 5th grade back down to my little guys. My previous students were and still are very upset. I get letters from them every few days. When it was announced to them, the last half hour of my last day with them (not my choice) everyone cried. The boys hid their faces in their hands, shirts or in a corner. Not good. The girls outright sobbed. It's okay now, but it hasn't been easy. My new class is great and I like the school. Here's to a new year, again.
That was my September.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment